My mom passed away in January, 2001. I still miss her and want to honor her today. She was an incredibly generous woman and always gave great gifts for birthdays and Christmas. The best gifts she gave, though, aren’t the kind you wrap up.
5 gifts my mom gave me:
- She liked to have fun. My mom played. She really enjoyed laughing and was a bit of a jokester.
- She saw past our faults. Though I’m sure my mistakes and those of my siblings grieved her, she forgave and looked beyond. She believed in us.
- She tried new things. Mom was adventurous in learning new skills, going to school, building a career later in life and in traveling. She did all of this without the emotional support of my dad – that’s amazing to me. She was a strong, courageous woman.
- She was proud of her kids & grandkids. She bragged about us and was proud to introduce us to others.
- She liked her kids and really enjoyed spending time with us. I love that she wasn’t afraid of getting dirty or ruining her clothes. The fact that my dad wasn’t around didn’t stop her from taking us places. Some of my favorite memories with her are of going to Disneyland, South Lake Tahoe, camping or just playing games.
Today, I feel extra grateful for my mom. Writing this list has caused that. I wish I’d done this when she was alive. It would have really blessed her. Thank you, Mom!
Now your turn…what gifts has your mom given you? Have you told her?